Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Just a quick update

So I went for my amnio on Monday morning. My HR OB also checked me to see if I am ready. They score your readiness on a scale of 0-10 (0-4 means you are not showing any signs of readiness and induction is not recommended, 4-6 means you could be induced, 6+ means you are definitely a good candidate for induction). I scored a 0. Yep, not even a pity point. So my body is not ready to be induced. Which is fine because we got the results from the amnio back and Thumper is also not ready. Her surfactant levels were around 30something, which puts her risk of lung issues at 15%. That's too high for us. So we continue to wait.

I go for another NST on Thursday and then another one on Tuesday. After my Tuesday appt I will have another consultation with my HR OB. At that point we will figure out the induction plan. He wants to induce me early/mid next week. We are good with that plan. The only problem now is my regular maternity doctor, the one that will deliver the baby, is away mid/end of next week. So it looks like some random doctor on call will be delivering my baby. I actually don't really care. I figure the nurses and Brian and I do most of the work anyways. Plus I'm sure my HR OB will be checking on me too, so I know I'll be in good hands.

In the meantime I'm hoping I just go into labour on my own. Any suggestions?

Thursday, September 3, 2009

The day is near

Here's the plan of action. I go for another non-stress test and consultation with the high risk OB next Thursday. At that consultation he is going to give me a quick ultrasound to check my fluid levels and check how Thumper is doing. I will be 35 weeks, 6 days pregnant at that time. Then the following week (date still to be determined) I will go back to the hospital for an amniocentesis. This will tell us how ready the baby's lungs are. I think my doctor will also check me to see how ready my body is. Assuming everything is ready they will start the induction as soon as there is room on labour & delivery! If the amnio comes back saying Thumper is not ready yet then we will wait another few days, or a week, and do another amnio to check again. As soon as her lungs are mature enough we will start the induction.

Can you believe that in 2 weeks I might be holding my little girl?

If anyone has any experience with inductions, with babies born at 36/37 weeks, or with amniocentesis please leave me a comment (or email me) about it. I have been researching my options a little bit but would like some first hand advice. As you can imagine, I am a little stressed out about all of this!